Tuesday 1 January 2019

New top story on Hacker News: Ask HN: Engineers from non-CS background, how did you pivot into ML/AI?

Ask HN: Engineers from non-CS background, how did you pivot into ML/AI?
287 by ultrasounder | 97 comments on Hacker News.
I am a EE, hardware engineer with about a decade of experience in PCB electronics and systems engineering experience which includes a brief stint at a FAANG that also happens to be an E-tailer. I have been "dabbling" in Python for about a year now and just recently started with DL using PyTorch and find it quite interesting. To be clear I don't write code at work, atleast not until now. I intend to utilize any free resources (MOOCs) to teach myself the latest techniques in DL for CV. What I am not clear is the next logical step.A part of me wants to Boostrap a SAAS using Python stack to build something that I can market using the traditional channels(PH,Show HN,Reddit,answer SO questions) and show it to potential employers but am not sure if I will even get to the interview stage with a resume but that doesn't look anything like a programmer with a tradional CS background and work experience to boot. Sorry about the long and winding question, but what should I do to get noticed by recruiters at FAANG and non-FAANG to stand apart from the CS crowd?

No comments:

Post a Comment